Time Remaining...

Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Bit of Background.....

First things first: I am not a morning person.

That's not quite strong enough. Maybe capitals and bold print will help: I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON.

Well, that was a fun exercise in the art of text formatting, but I actually don't think I need to emphasize the point any further. If you know me, you know that I am notorious for being a night owl instead of an early bird.

I've been defending my sleep habits for years. "Why get up early? I'm more productive at night," I proclaim to whoever is asking (or growling at me for being late to work).

Which is technically true - in a given day, my brain is performing at its optimum level somewhere between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m. The rest of the time, I'm basically just functioning in a daze.

I wasn't always this way. In high school I played ice hockey (Matt Holt, back me up on this). I know for a fact that I played in games, away games even, at 7 or 8 a.m. on most Saturdays during hockey season. Come to think of it, didn't my first class in high school begin at 7:10 a.m.? How did I do it then? And, more importantly, why can't I do it now?

After all, millions of Americans manage to get their asses to work by 9 a.m. So why is it that I rarely make it in by 10:30?? And, damn it, why am I always awake (and nearly always working) at midnight, 1 a.m., 2 a.m....? There are several possible answers to this question. Some say that genetics determine whether a person is predisposed to be an "early riser" or not. However, my dad wakes up ungodly early (like, 5 a.m.), so I definitely don't get it from him. So I could just blame it all on my mom, which is tempting (thanks Mom!)

I recently read a study that says that sitting in front of a computer screen till all hours can seriously mess up your internal clock and sleep/wake cycle. Read it for yourself if you're so inclined: "Effects of VDT tasks with a bright display at night on melatonin, core temperature, heart rate, and sleepiness" .

But alas, searching for a reason for my abnormal sleep habits does nothing to solve the problem. I can either provide excuses or I can suck it up and *gasp* make an effort to change into one of those perky, enthusiastic "morning birds" that I find so annoying.

And so it begins....

Can Kate Breslin Transform Into A Morning Person In 30 Days? -- The Experiment.


It sounds like some kind of awesome movie, no? No?? Well, screw you! I'm doing it anyway! Bwah ha ha!

Stay tuned!!
! And prepare to be recruited! This experiment requires your participation!!

12 comments:

  1. Is this some kind of sick joke?
    love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your unemployed brother, who woke up at 7 a.m. today, supports you.

    Expect phone calls.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not appreciating the 5:30 a.m. phone calls, by the way. And why are you not a follower??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Granddaughter, I have such memories of you...of trying to get you to day care (in Baltimore, MD) BEFORE the mandatory 9 am "locking-of-the-door/no late arrivals allowed"! Driving & passing Cherrios back to you as I attempted to deliver you on something other than an Empty Stomach. Your 'comments' on all of this: thru dressing, getting you outa' the house, strapped into those infernal car seats, etc. were loud enough to get me arrested for grandchild abuse.......definitely not a great way to start a day, for you OR me! I think 'tis genetic...directly from your Italian grandfather to you. (But then Tony isn't a night person either....) Whatever...I'm impressed at your attempts to 'change', Grammie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am prepared to participate! It's 4:30 a.m. here in New Jersey. What can I do to wake you up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...do NOT call me at 4:30 a.m.!! That is a BAD idea! At some point today I will be posting my "goal" wake-up times as well as my "goal" be-at-work times, and so help me, if you or Sean or Mom call me any earlier than that, you will be CONTAMINATING THE EXPERIMENT! Grrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate...you just tell this (goal less) grandmother what you want me to do! G

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terri - Mother-in-law.March 26, 2010 at 11:29 AM

    Kate,

    I am always up at 7 on the weekends taking Roxie for a walk. Be glad to do a little check in call to help you out...:) Need someone to talk with at that time of morning...but no growling.

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your efforts are pathetic. No baby steps. Jump in! Stay up until 4 a.m., and then wake Ryan and make a terrific breakfast! Eggs - coffee - sausage! More coffee. Then go out and buy canoli! Then shower. Get to the office by 8 a.m. Work your butt off until 4:30 p.m., smile and call it a day! Go to a restaurant for seafood. Have a dessert! Go home and watch a one-hour TV show, but DON'T look at your computer. You'll be in bed, sound asleep by 8:30. You will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How is Ryan faring during all of this? Hang in there! Loveya', G&G

    ReplyDelete
  11. O.K...now you have a "regular" full week...no holidays, no changing to DST, etc. I'm sure that by really making a Big Effort you can end this week 'way ahead of the game. G

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the support Grammie! I'm trying to "crack down" on myself this week.

    Ryan's faring just fine during all this. He's been very supportive (if slightly amused)!

    Love Kate

    ReplyDelete